Asterisk, Inc. ("Company" or "We") respects your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit, register for, interact with or otherwise use our “Services,” as defined by our Terms of Service, either directly or through our affiliated events pages (e.g., using Typeform), and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- On our Services.
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and our Services.
- In our applications for hackathons, pre-and-post-event surveys, and other related hackathon information processes in selecting your application to participate in our events.
- When you interact with our advertising and applications on third-party websites and services, if those applications or advertising include links to this policy.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- Us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by Asterisk or any third party; or
- Any third party, including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on our Services.
Children Under the Age of Thirteen (13)
Our Services are not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any personal information to our Services. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on our Services or through any of its features, register on our Services, make any purchases through our Services, use any of the interactive or public comment features of our Services, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are an event participant, or potential participant, under the age of 13, and would like to attend one of our events, your parent or guardian must contact us at email@example.com.
Information Collected and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Services, including information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, email address, telephone number, or any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline (”personal information”);
- Billing details, including your credit card number and expiration dates, which are supplied directly to a third party processor (e.g., Stripe);
- Other personal information you choose to provide us, such as information provided in a resume or curriculum vitae, race, reasons for attending our event(s), where you heard about our service(s) or events, occupation, dietary restrictions, and other related information to provide our Services;
- We or our third party service providers may also gather information relating to your devices, including: device model, operating system, browser type, unique device identifier, IP address, mobile network carrier, and location information, your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Services, and other usage details.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, and other tracking technologies.
- From third parties, for example, our business partners.
Information You Provide to Us
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Services. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our Services, or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a contest or promotion sponsored by us, and when you report a problem with our Services.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Services and of the fulfillment of your orders. You may be required to provide financial information before placing an order through our Services, processed by third parties.
- Billing details, including your credit card number and expiration dates, which are supplied directly to a third party processor (e.g., Stripe).
- Other personal information you choose to provide us, such as information provided in a resume or curriculum vitae, race, reasons for attending our event(s), where you heard about our service(s) or events, occupation, dietary restrictions, and other related information to provide our Services.
You also may provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, “posted”) on public areas of our Services, third party websites, or affiliated or transmitted to other users of our Services or third parties (collectively, “User Contributions”). For example, our hackathon events generally use third party websites like Devpost for user participant project submissions. Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. Although we may limit access to certain pages, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users of our Services with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Services, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Services, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on our Services.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
The information we collect automatically is statistical data and does not include personal information, but we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Services and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Services according to your individual interests.
- Improve application processes.
- Recognize you when you return to our Services.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- We do not collect personal information automatically, but we may tie this information to personal information about you that we collect from other sources or you provide to us.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our Services and their contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To provide you with notices about events you signed up for, including acceptance and other related notices.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to our Services or any products or services we offer or provide through them.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Services.
- To provide our Services during our event(s) to maximize your experience.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
Disclosure of Your Information
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Asterisk’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by Asterisk about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you provide us a resume/CV, we may transmit the contents of that resume and your email address to a subset of our sponsors.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- To enforce or apply our Terms of Service, or Terms of Sale and other agreements, including for billing and collection purposes, which are processed by a third party.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Asterisk, our customers, or others.
Choices About How We Use/Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
Disclosure of Your Information for Third-Parties. If you do not want us to share your personal information with our sponsors and clients, you can opt-out by sending us an email with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Promotional Offers from the Company. If you do not wish to have your contact information used by the Company to promote our own or third parties’ products or services, you can opt-out or unsubscribe from our emails by clicking here, or by sending us an email stating your request to email@example.com. If we have sent you a promotional email, you may send us a return email asking to be omitted from future email distributions, or by unsubscribing at by clicking here. This opt out does not apply to information provided to the Company as a result of a product purchase, warranty registration, product service experience or other transactions.
Targeted Advertising. If you do not want us to use information that we collect or that you provide to us to deliver advertisements according to our advertisers’ target-audience preferences, you can opt-out by sending us an email stating your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However, these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way. You can opt out of receiving targeted ads from members of the Network Advertising Initiative (”NAI”) on the NAI’s website.